AREYOUFAMILIAR.BLOGSPOT.COM
WE'LL TAKE YOU DOWNTOWN 


Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Audio/Visual Expression

Last week I covered Bobby Birdman, and briefly mentioned both States Rights Records and YACHT. With connections to LA's Copy and E*Rock of Audio Dregs, YACHT (Jona Bechtolt) is part of an interesting music scene out in Portland, Oregon. Pushing the 8-bit sounds and a cool visual aesthetic, he fits in neatly with contemporaries like Crystal Castles, although with a less aggressive feel. You can find his CDs through States Rights' site.

Check out the video game-based promo for SHTML by E*Rock, along with some photos from a show at The Boat in Toronto (thanks to Kidwithcamera).

YACHT - Remember What This Feels Like

Bobby Birdman - I Will Come Again (YACHT Remix)
Bobby Birdman - And Then It Begins (YACHT Remix)

(Oh, and I should mention he plays with Devendra Banhart, is half of The Blow, and part of Little Wings. Nice credentials.)

(VIDEO: MOV) - The Blow - Knowing The Things That I Know

---

London's Ben Rollason (of Fink-Base) directed two of the videos which made it into my Top 5 Videos of 2005 list (both sharing the #5 spot). He recently completed a new promo for Jeremy Warmsley, and has succeeded in completely out-doing himself. Combining some great in-camera and post-effects with a well-timed set of disconnected narratives, this is my favorite video of the year so far. Highly polished and engaging.

(VIDEO: MOV) - Jeremy Warmsley - Dirty Blue Jeans

---

I walked with Jesus and he would say, "oh you poor child, you ain't comin' to me no way. You've found heaven on earth, you're gonna burn for your sins." Well, I think I'll be in good company down there with all my friends.