AREYOUFAMILIAR.BLOGSPOT.COM
WE'LL TAKE YOU DOWNTOWN 


Sunday, August 07, 2005

Olympic Hearts

There is something to be said for living in excess. The blur that was last Wednesday through today ended with me DJing to a room of about 150 girls in Toronto's trendy (read: barely tolerable) Distillery District. For $60 I could've even had myself a 90 minute tour of the entire area on a Segway -- if I'd wanted to pay someone to make me look like an idiot (which would be stupid, when I can do it to myself for free). I stopped at the Segway display booth for a while and listened to a guy actually consider buying one.

No, I met none of the girls at this show, except for Jesse Keeler's girlfriend who was excited that I'd played one of his songs. It was an industry fashion event; I was stuck up above the warehouse floor on a gangway, while a couple guys milled around the DJ/visual area wearing sunglasses and commenting on the ladies below us. I just tried not to fuck up.

---

The Diableros played at our first NO FORMAT night in Toronto a couple months ago; at the time, I had seen them live a few times, and loved what I'd heard. Last week, Pete, the lead singer and guitarist, stopped by and gave me a copy of their recently recorded CD. Engineered by Jakob Thiesen (of The Airfields) at Kitchen Sync Digital, You Can't Break the Strings in Our Olympic Hearts is a great album, with a nice title.

The six band members (Pete, Matt, Tara, Pheobe, Ian, and Gary) create an expansive, noisy piece of indie rock, evoking both The Walkmen and The Jesus & Mary Chain; they weave pretty melodies through walls of reverb and echo. Pete's vocals - an undeniable highlight of their sound - are mixed pretty far back, lending a bit of an early-90s (Ididn'tsayitshoegazerOK?) feel to the recording. This, of course is as intended: the entire album was mixed live off the floor at the studio.

A big thanks to the band for the CD, and letting me post a few tracks:

The Diableros - Push It To Monday
The Diableros - Tropical Pets
The Diableros - No Weight
The Diableros - Smash The Clock

---

AUGUST 21st 2005

NO FORMAT presents
A special SUNDAY show

THE TWO KOREAS
plus guests

at THE SOCIAL

---

Stuart Berman, singer for The Two Koreas, will be guest blogging here next week. In the meantime you can always pick up a copy of Eye Magazine to read what he might have to say about all things music-related in Toronto.

---

Tomorrow, I recount two house parties, and an hour hanging out with Owen Pallett. This isn't an excuse, but hey, I really HAVE been busy.