AREYOUFAMILIAR.BLOGSPOT.COM
WE'LL TAKE YOU DOWNTOWN 


Saturday, July 30, 2005

Disaster!

In what I would call a great marketing move, Love Ends Disaster! recently released an (obviously) internet-only three-song EP, available for download from their site. For their CD-based debut, Stories For The Dislocated, the band went for the big-name hot-right-now producer, with Warren Bassett behind the mixing board. It paid off. The music sounds excellent, and they gain an instant reaction when they drop the names of other bands he's worked with (The Fall, Bloc Party).

They've been building buzz over in the UK, so I can only assume they'll hit North American shores soon enough, brought in - no doubt - on a label by the likes of Vice Recordings, Dim Mak, or Kemado.

Here is the free EP in it's entirety -- the Electric Cafe rework will make it onto my next mix. I'm not a fan of Electric Cafe's usual output (which includes some big-name remix jobs), but he had a great starting point here. Search the archives for another Love Ends Disaster! MP3 from a few weeks ago:

Love Ends Disaster! - Ginko Disco
Love Ends Disaster! - John Majors Megadrive
Love Ends Disaster! - Ginko Disco (Electric Cafe Remix)

---

About six months ago I was working as a producer on a music video for a fairly well-known band. I co-ordinated a series of meetings, along with a few proof of concept shoots, which were sent back and forth as we nailed down the look. I then left the rest up to the director, his production guy (a good friend of mine, who I was doing this as a favour for), and the musicians. Guess what? The whole thing turned into a huge mess, with the band hitting overblown-ego mode, and sending comical emails about who's in charge and how seriously they take their carefully manicured image. They displayed an absolute lack of understanding for the creative process; you gotta work together. This had the potential to be a stunning piece, but they were too busy playing rockstar to figure that out.

Bottom line is the video was never done, and my take on these guys - which wasn't super hot before the bullshit - was irreparably damaged. Really, who wants to work with people like that? Artists are difficult to begin with; throw in a messiah complex, and you have the makings of a real collaborative nightmare (unless you're in, you know? Like... in).

Creative projects are good fun -- working with others should result in an end-product borne out of a mutual respect and understanding (of course, with some disagreements thrown in for excitement). Never again will I subject myself to a blind date like that.

---

On a related note, what is it about me and some of my straight, 30-ish male friends that seems to draw out the early-20-year-old girls? God, don't answer that. I'm just saying...