AREYOUFAMILIAR.BLOGSPOT.COM
WE'LL TAKE YOU DOWNTOWN 


Saturday, November 26, 2005

Intelligent design

This is not the post I intended to make today. I have a big article waiting as a draft -- waiting for someone (JAIME!) to add to it before it can be put up. But hey, it's been a few days, so here we go...

---

Last week I was invited by a friend of mine to something called the Casby Awards -- an event put together by local radio station 102.1 as both a publicity stunt, and an excuse to give awards to their listener's favorite bands. The girl who invited me is really nice, and I figured it would be fun to go, at least for a laugh. There was a very small red carpet in front of the venue (a horrible 2400 capacity club called Kool Haus), tons of security, and lots of fans there for bands like Metric, Hot Hot Heat, Sloan, and uh... Th3ory 0f A D34dman, Tr3ws, and B0y (there, that should confuse the search engine seekers).

It was terrible. Not the poor selection of beer (I can live with Molson), not the awful sound (I wasn't there for the bands), or the Molson girls wandering around in their halter tops (that was a high point). It was the general feeling; the posing and the fronting. And for what? Just lame, and embarrassing enough to preclude enjoyment of the spectacle. So I was ecstatic when my friend let me know she could get me into the Echo & The Bunnymen show happening across town. I left The Casby's quickly.

The Echo & The Bunnymen show was great -- far better than I expected, given what other people have experienced with their tour. Ian McCulloch wasn't so fucked as to be unable to sing, which was a nice surprise, and the sound was good. Thank you to Jacob from Emerge for putting that together, and for letting me know about some upcoming events I'll drop on this blog when I'm allowed to.

I watched Donnie Darko again a few weeks ago:
Echo & The Bunnymen - The Killing Moon

---

So now - for some reason - I am in a Creation Records mood. Tareh pointed out that an old Creation band called The Loft have been getting a good deal of posthumus attention lately, and deservedly so. I've also been listening to Adorable, and thinking about The House Of Love; two of the post-shoegaze, pre-Brit-pop bands that were overshadowed by grunge.

The last two installments of the shoegaze retrospective will be up next week (including more Adorable tracks).

Adorable - Homeboy

The Loft - Up The Hill And Down The Slope
The Loft - Tuesday

The House Of Love - I Don't Know Why I Love You
The House Of Love - Marble
The House Of Love - Beatles And The Stones