AREYOUFAMILIAR.BLOGSPOT.COM
WE'LL TAKE YOU DOWNTOWN 


Sunday, November 20, 2005

Vampires are the new wolves

My friend Ryan says Probably Vampires are like an up-beat version of The Zombies. I kind of agree. They're also a bit like The Doors, and '60s west-coast pop, with some blues and Motown thrown in. Their name is really cute, but if we suddenly see a rash of vampire-named or themed groups, I'm going to start calling it the apocalypse.

You should go make friends with them; they're from Chicago and they rock out.

Probably Vampires - Every Single Time
Probably Vampires - Yes I Do
Probably Vampires - One More Night

---

So this guy Ian came up with a brilliant idea; an indie-rock version of fantasy football. I had to tell him that Pitchfork came up with the idea already, but that didn't stop us from drunkenly formulating some basic rules, and then... forgetting about it.

But yeah, I still want to do it. Make it happen, Ian!

Speaking of Pitchfork, they don't like The Howling Hex's new DVD/album as much as I do. I say it clears 70 by a couple percentage points.

---

James Murphy, The Juan Maclean, and Sh*t Robot (that's how he spells it, not me) all played at Shack Up last Thursday with Mikey, Jaime, and myself (well, I played two records and worked the door). It was an experience that re-instilled my faith in small DJ parties. The Juan is coming back, and we'll do something like that again. I can't wait.

Keep your ears open for the Sh*t Robot 12" releases coming up on DFA. Great stuff.

---

The video game I'm working on can be found at "Segalabs." When we saw the original concept for this promotion, some of us freaked out -- and not in a good way. We couldn't imagine it being alright, but it is. In a video game way, you know.