AREYOUFAMILIAR.BLOGSPOT.COM
WE'LL TAKE YOU DOWNTOWN 


Friday, November 11, 2005

Let's be friends

Another wonderful week of 12 hours workdays, and two wicked bands to listen to:

---

Bodies Of Water emailed me today; they wrote me a nice, unassuming message, and offered to send me a CD. I listened to a couple of their MP3s, and was impressed.

With "Here Comes My Hand," these guys and girls belt out amazing vocal melodies, coupled with a dense, sunny, well-produced pop backdrop, the occasional yelp, and quirky breakdowns. "Roar, Roar, Roar," sounds a bit like Grandaddy meets Queen -- what the hell? And then we have a "Guess I'll Forget The Sound, I Guess, I Guess." It's a dusty, melancholy offering with frenetic bridges, a nice organ and synthetic-sounding horns.

I have high hopes for this band. Looking forward to getting the EP.

Bodies Of Water - Here Comes My Hand
Bodies Of Water - Roar, Roar, Roar
Bodies Of Water - Guess I'll Forget The Sound, I Guess, I Guess

---

The hoof hearted DAS brought Celebration to my attention. The guy seems hard to please, so when he's all over over a band, you gotta assume there is at least something to be said for it.

Celebration are from New York, and, like Bodies Of Water, they have a very unique sound. Off-time, off-kilter beats, killer organ, and catchy-as-hell basslines clash in something that sounds vaguely like The Liars but hell, I can't really come up with adequate comparisons.

Listen to these guys. They've got it -- that special thing. They're amazing.

Celebration - War
Celebration - New Skin

---

The Paper Cranes' EP is now going to mastering (which is what we do after mixing). Their track titled "Deus Ex Machinegun" is heading down to the guys at Run-Roc for a remix treatment. How rad is that? If you don't know who Run-Roc are, they just finished work for Annie and Supersystem, produce Jonathan Vance, and are doing some new work for The Rapture. Things are looking good.