AREYOUFAMILIAR.BLOGSPOT.COM
WE'LL TAKE YOU DOWNTOWN 


Sunday, September 11, 2005

Passive Vengeance

I live by myself -- this allows me to do lots of fun stuff, like drink orange juice directly from the container, or dip my banana right into this Nutella jar. Think about this next time you're at my house.

---

The Toronto International Film Festival is here. As great as it would be to check out a lot of these films, I lack the time and the money to do so. The actress girlfriend I would be hitting the carpet with is sick in Vancouver, so I have no real excuse to attend the parties. Besides, even the lure of free alcohol is not enough for me to brave that scene.

Speaking of free drinks, the "Never Be Alone" party which Vice and Solo Mobile are promoting across Canada hit Toronto on Friday night. It kind of sucked. Lana (little miss addVice) tells me the one in Vancouver was actually fun. Especially when Jason (My!Gay!Husband!) got really hammered, yelled "VICE SUCKS" while casing the line to get in, stole all the Polaroids that were being taken (and stuck up on the wall with people's phone numbers on them), and then passed out in the back of a truck. Wicked.

---

I found this email at one of my accounts last week. Usually you expect some kind of xxx pr0n action out of a message along these lines, but I have no idea what to make of this. Check out that URL; it's awesome:

From: "Hernan"
Subject: come get yourself a bed buddy
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:18:45 -0400
this is the place to go
http://untruefeeling.com/morelikeamasterpiece/everydayiweep/foryou.html
if you want all the benefits of a relationship with none of the hastles.
they are all willing to just be your bedroom buddy

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.
To sit alone with my conscience will be judgment enough for me.
A Leopard Can't Change His Spots
Don't look a Gift Horse in the Mouth
Shake a leg
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
---

PS formed in Brooklyn in 2002 -- hard to tell if that's a blessing or a curse anymore, isn't it? These songs were recorded in 2004 by Paul Mahajan, who also did engineering and mixing work for TV On The Radio, Liars, Oneida, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs (be prepared before you hit the YYYs link, and don't blame me -- you were warned). I heard there was a Nick Zinner connection to PS, but I'm not sure in what capacity.

I've been waiting for these guys to break for a while; it's been some time since their music started to filter through the blogs, but there hasn't been a lot of buzz around them since their album, Double Standards, was released. Looks like they've sold some songs to Adidas recently:

PS - Spelling
PS - Sense Of Humor

---

TV On The Radio are nice guys. This song is alright. Their last song was alright, too. I hope the new album is able to transcend being "alright." David Andrew Sitek and Kyp Malone sometimes post stuff on their blog, which is linked from this site under the acquaintances heading:

TV On The Radio - Dry Drunk Emperor

---

You know how there are all these post-punk bands from England that all sound the same and have catchy little guitar hooks and all that shit? Well The Arm are from Austin, TX, and these tracks came out some time ago:

The Arm - Bright Young Men
The Arm - Song Automatic

---

Last week I was going to do a write-up on The Bluetones. They were to The Stone Roses what Cast were to The La's. I listened to their stuff again, and I decided against any kind of endorsement -- they haven't aged well. Then I thought about Cast. [pregnant pause] So anyway, here is a track from The La's, because they are infintely more interesting than any of the other aforementioned bands, and they played in Japan a month or so ago:

The La's - Timeless Melody

---

If you're into digging through used record bins, try find a Tuxedomoon LP somewhere. It'll be an interesting quest, and the payoff is worth it:

Tuxedomoon - No Tears

---

I have a soft spot for Radiohead remixes. And Radiohead. And Stanley Donwood.:

Radiohead - I Will (Matelic Remix)

---

Windy And Carl
help me fall asleep with over twelve minutes of pretty noises. I like the name of the song, because it means I'm being really ironic when I play it at bedtime. So cool. Yes:

Windy And Carl - Consciousness

---

By request, links now open in a new window.