AREYOUFAMILIAR.BLOGSPOT.COM
WE'LL TAKE YOU DOWNTOWN 


Friday, June 24, 2005

Paper Cranes

This was a strange one. A friend of mine in Vancouver sent a song to (the infamous) Lana, who dropped me a line and INSISTED I check it out. I had no choice... it was evidently that good.

What's this, another Canadian phenom? This band consists of a few guys in their early 20's from Victoria, who are in the process of putting the finishing touches on their first indie release. Paper Cranes is the name, and, much like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, they slot into this interesting genre that inhabits the same vicinity as Wolf Parade and (dare I say) The Arcade Fire.

Bent slightly more towards post-punk than avant-folk-rock, Paper Cranes are more straight ahead than Clap Your Hands, but remain far from predictable.

---

Here's to social awkwardness. It being 2:30am, and me still being drunk, my bed looks awfully appealing to me right now. Sideways glances and stilted conversations really don't get me going. Here's to being straight up.

---

We're starting up a new monthly club night here in Toronto -- two live bands, plus guest DJs, along with myself and Ian (of Uncut and The Two Koreas) playing records. More details soon.

---

Thanks to Roxane:
Paper Cranes - I'll Love You Til My Veins Explode
Paper Cranes - Deus Ex Machinegun
Paper Cranes - January In Eastern Europe

These are unfinished mixes.