AREYOUFAMILIAR.BLOGSPOT.COM
WE'LL TAKE YOU DOWNTOWN 


Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Seriously

When I was a kid, my parents somehow drilled it into my head that I shouldn't say, "seriously" before I was going to make some kind of self-important statement like, "seriously... it's good." Ever since then, whenever someone has opened a sentence with, "honestly, ... seriously, ... no but really, ..." I've had an inherent mistrust in whatever they would say afterwards.

More often than not, it just makes me laugh, because the tone it sets is incongruous to the statement that follows. Like, "yeah but honestly, I don't like The Killers." Sure glad you laid that one on me with such profound intent. Thanks.

All of this makes me want to go back and add the word, "Seriously," to the start of a few of my blogs, because I keep feeling like the shit can be taken too literally, or um, too seriously.

Yeah. Anyway.

So I've been looking for some sort of new sound (because I can't take another post-punk riff), and I've been wondering if the whole Madchester thing could ever shed it's incredibly lame exoskeleton and expose it's tasty, fleshy insides (if they exist). There are these guys from Norway called Datarock (http://www.datarock.no), and it seems like they might be onto this. The music is seriously gay (as Nick Sylvester put it in his Pitchfork review), but nevertheless, it's somehow substantially gay. I mean, there is something underneath there that serves as the fleshy underpinning, and I like it a lot.

So I'm digging out the New Fast Automatic Daffodils, and I'm hoping that there will be more to come along these lines. Tom Vek was a good start. Let's see where we go... seriously (I can't believe I wrote that).

-----

Finished the cover for the first Unfamiliar compilation CD: http://www.areyoufamiliar.com/comp1.jpg